Governors make a highly significant contribution to the work and direction of the school.
They have high levels of insight, are extremely well organised and thorough in their approach. They are vigorous in ensuring that all pupils and staff are safe. In discharging their statutory responsibilities, they have highly robust systems for evaluating the effectiveness of their implementation, keeping the work of the school under review and acting upon their findings.
Governors are innovative, flexible and adapt to new ideas quickly, supporting the work of the staff in improving outcomes for all pupils. They are confident in providing high levels of professional challenge to hold the school to account. Our Governors engage very effectively with parents, pupils and the staff as a whole and are well informed about user’s views of the school. They use these views to inform strategic priorities for development.
Baydon St Nicholas School: Governing Body Portfolios
All governors attend the Full Governing Body meetings but also hold a portfolio of responsibilities. We do most of our work through the committees but are also responsible for working with the Headteacher on the School Vision and the School Development plan. Part of the support and challenge we offer to staff is monitoring the schools progress against that plan.
|Name||Position (including Start Date)||Type (and who elected by)||Term of Office Start and End Date||Committee Membership||Portfolio Includes|
|Lesley Whelan||Chair of Governors|
Chair of Buildings
(Jan 2014 renewed Sept 2015)
|Foundation (Church)||20/7/13 to 19/7/17||Finance Buildings|
|Staff Appointments (safer recruitment trained)
|Jackie Hollander||Co-Vice Chair|
Chair of Finance
|Foundation (Ex officio)||1/11/11 to no end date||Finance|
|Barbara Furber||Chair of Teaching and Learning|
|Foundation (Church)||10/02/15 to 09/02/19||Teaching & Learning||English
|Marnie Pascoe||Co-Vice Chair||Parent (Parents)||26/01/16 to 25/01/20||Buildings |
|Fiona Smart||Foundation (Church)||27/08/13 to 26/08/17||Teaching and Learning|
|Paula Bartlett||Foundation (Church)||20 /07/13 to 19/07/17||Teaching and Learning|
|Nicola Davies||Local Authority (Local Authority/FGB)||28/11/16 to 27/11/20||SEND
|Donita Blackwell||Foundation (Church)||20/10/14 to 19/10/18||Wagtails||Child Protection|
|Tony Topp||Foundation (Church)||02/01/15 to 01/01/19||Buildings||Health &Safety|
|Amanda Hodey||Parent (Parents)||08/10/15 to 07/10/19||Teaching and Learning||Policies|
|Emma Gilbert||Staff (Staff)||17/1011 to 16/10/15|
20/11/15 to 16/10/19
|Teaching and Learning|
|Caroline Knighton||Headteacher (Ex officio)||01/09/16 to no end date||Strategy |
Teaching and Learning
|Denise Mathewson||Chair of Wagtails Committee||Associate,|
Associate (FGB, FGB, FGB)
|01/01/14 to 20/01/16|
20/01/16 to 21/03/16
21/03/16 to 20/03/20
|Susan Harris||Associate Governor||01/02/15 – 31/01/19||Wagtails|
|Laura Hallsworth||Associate Governor||24/09/15 – 23/09/19||Finance (with voting rights)|
|Andrew Campbell-Laing||Parent (Parents)|
Co opted (FGB)
|26/9/13 to 25/9/15|
25/9/15 to 20/1/16
20/1/16 to 21/3/16
21/3/16 to 20/3/20
|Name||Position (including start date)||Type (and who elected by)||Term of Office Start and End Date||Committee Member ship||Portfolio Includes|
|Peter Chambers||Headteacher (Ex officio)||to 31/08/16||Attended All|
|Andrew Davies||Local Authority (Local Authority/FGB)||22/7/15 to 21/7/19||Communications|
|Allison Dobson||Associate (FGB)||4/2/14 to 26/5/16|
|Emma Harton-Carter||Parent (Parents)||26/1/12 to 25/1/16||Buildings/ Health and Safety|
|Amanda Osbourne||Foundation (Church)||5/2/14 to 31/12/15||Buildings/Health and Safety|
|Bridget Walker||Associate (FGB)||22/3/13 to 28/4/16|
- Strategy: Caroline Knighton, Emma Gilbert, Lesley Whelan, Jackie Hollander, Marnie Pascoe
- Teaching and Learning: Barbara Furber (chair), Caroline Knighton, Emma Gilbert, Paula Bartlett, Fiona Smart, Amanda Hodey.
- Finance: Jackie Hollander (chair) Lesley Whelan, Caroline Knighton, Laura Hallsworth
- Buildings: Lesley Whelan (chair) Caroline Knighton, Jackie Hollander, Marnie Pascoe, Tony Topp
- Communications: Paula Bartlett, Fiona Smart, Vacancy
Overall monitoring of the School Development Plan:
- Leadership and Management: Lesley Whelan and Jackie Hollander.
- Quality of Teaching and Learning and Assessment: T&L with regular feedback to FGB.
- Personal Development and Behaviour Welfare: Nikki Davies and Amanda Hodey.
- EYFS (Early Years Foundation Stage): Paula Bartlett and T&L.
- Outcomes for Pupils: Using data, Governors would be expected to raise questions relating to their area(s) of responsibility. Emma Gilbert presents the data to Governors in her role as Deputy Head. The Clerk circulates details of courses relating to the use of data.
- Sustainability: (buildings, communications, finance)
- Church School Effectiveness (worship, RE, values)
Ad Hoc groups working on specific short-term projects
- Academies: From March 2014- June 2014. Reinstated Jan 2016: Caroline Knighton (lead), Emma Gilbert, Lesley Whelan, Jackie Hollander, vacancy. Aim: To gain a full understanding of Academies and the choices open to St Nicholas in order to propose action to FGB.
- Pre-School Support: From April 2016 – Nov 2016 (Lesley Whelan), Marnie Pasco, Amanda Hodey, Donni Blackwell. Aim: To confidentially review and research the requirements for a Baydon preschool and what, if any, involvement St Nicholas might wish to have. Update: The pre-school has new trustees and management and as it is improving it is no longer an immediate risk. (July 2016)
As required through the year:
Pay Committee: Barbara Furber (chair), Jackie Hollander, Lesley Whelan
Pay Appeals Committee: as required from list, including associate governors.
Admissions: Lesley Whelan, Barbara Furber
Head Teachers Performance Management Panel: Lesley Whelan, Jackie Hollander
Governors are required to publish information online relating to business interests and attendance as well as the information included above.. To view the information please see below.
|Name||Business or Other Interests||Attendance at FGB 2015-2016||Attendance at Committees 2015-2016|
|Paula Bartlett||None||7/7||T and L : 6/6|
|Donita Blackwell||Employed as maternity cover (part time teaching post)||7/7||Wagtails: 1/1|
|Peter Chambers||None||5/7||T and L: 5/6
Finance and Buildings: 8/8
Buildings and H&S: 1/1
|Barbara Furber||None||6/7||T and L: 6/6|
|Emma Gilbert||None||7/7||t and L: 6/6|
|Laura Hallsworth||None||Finance and Buildings: 7/8|
|Sue Harries||None||Wagtails: 1/1|
|Emma Harton-Carter||None||1/2||Buildings: 2/3|
|Amanda Hodey||None||7/7||T and L: 3/3|
|Jackie Hollander||None||6/7||Finance: 8/8
|Denise Matthewson||None||0/1||Wagtails: 1/1|
|Amanda Osbourne||None||2/2||Buildings: 1/1|
|Marnie Pascoe||None||3/5||Buildings: 1/1|
|Fiona Smart||None||7/7||T and L: 6/6|
|Tony Topp||Employed as caretaker/cleaner||7/7||Buildings: 6/6|
|Lesley Whelan||None||7/7||Finance: 7/8|